By John Dececco Phd, Sonya L Jones
Look at how narrative has formed homosexual and lesbian cultureA Sea of news: The Shaping strength of Narrative in homosexual and Lesbian Cultures: A Festschrift for John P. De Cecco is an unforgettable selection of own narratives that explores the old, mental, and sociological contexts of homosexuality in destinations starting from Nazi Germany to Colorado. the various favourite authors during this assortment comprise David Bergman, Louis group, Diana Hume George, and Ruth Vanita. students in homosexual and lesbian experiences, political routine, cultural stories, and narratology, and someone attracted to homosexual background probably want to discover those interesting narratives on issues akin to intercourse and sin within the South, promoting homosexual literature earlier than Stonewall, starting to be up homosexual in India, and the tale of an interracial male couple dealing with homophobic lack of awareness in a small town.A Sea of news additionally includes artistic fiction and nonfiction love tales, battle tales, oral tales, and bibliographies, and a gorgeous post-Stonewell and post-modern narrative set on a South African seascape that tells the tale of 2 specialist males and the potential of a kiss. for a whole record of contents, please stopover at our website at www.haworthpressinc.com.This e-book provide you with various narratives that hide a variety, together with:
- memoirs of homosexual Holocaust survivors and the emergence of the 1st lesbian and homosexual publication membership in its wake
- homophobia within the place of work and using coming-out tales to augment place of work variety
- the institution of a gay/straight alliance in a Salt Lake urban highschool that's seriously ruled by means of Mormons
- gay literary history that examines the works of Langston Hughes in addition to Martin Duberman, Paul Monette, and Edmund White with regards to the lesbian 70s
- creative nonfiction a couple of woman's love for one more girl, her lifelong pal
- Provincetown's extraordinary neighborhood reaction to the AIDS epidemicA choice of chapters written by means of the colleagues and previous scholars of John P. De Cecco, pioneering editor of the magazine of Homosexuality, A Sea of reports takes its name from a word Dr. De Cecco utilized in his keynote deal with to the “History and reminiscence” convention at Allegheny collage in 1997. This convention sparked the belief for this number of essays that research the gay adventure via historic, mental, and sociological viewpoints and homosexuality in literature. those brave tales will help readers to grasp themselves extra deeply, to spot wih others, and to interpret homosexual and lesbian stories in numerous narrative types.
Read Online or Download A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures PDF
Best gay & lesbian books
Ebook by way of Jackson, Graham
Gender studies of Spain has to this point concentrated virtually solely on ladies, leaving the social and political background of male homosexuality nearly untouched. 'Los Invisibles' fills this major hole within the research of Spanish tradition by means of interpreting the consequences of scientific and criminal legislation on male homosexuals.
This amazing array of essays considers the contingent and moving meanings of gender and the physique in modern Southeast Asia. through interpreting femininity and masculinity as fluid techniques instead of social or organic givens, the authors offer new methods of figuring out how gender intersects with neighborhood, nationwide, and transnational varieties of wisdom and tool.
In Banning Queer Blood, Jeffrey Bennett frames blood donation as a functionality of civic identification heavily associated with the that means of citizenship. even though, with the arrival of AIDS got here the thought of blood donation as a in all likelihood risky strategy. Bennett argues that the meals and Drug management, through utilizing photos that particularly depict homosexual males as contagious, has categorised homosexual males as a threat to the kingdom.
- The State of Affairs: Explorations in infidelity and Commitment (LEA's Series on Personal Relationships)
- Manawa Toa
- The Spectre of Promiscuity
Additional resources for A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures
Wegen Vergehen nach §175 verhaftet: Die Verfolgung der Düsseldorfer Homosexuellen während des Nationalsozialismus. Düsseldorf: Grupello Verlag, 1997. Steakley, James. The Homosexual Emancipation Movement in Germany. Salem, N H : Ayer, 1982. Tielman, Rob. The Persecution of Homosexuals in the Netherlands During the Second World War. Los Angeles: Urania Manuscripts, 1979. van Dijk, Lutz. " Erinnerungen Homosexueller 1933-1945. Hamburg: Rowohlt, 1992. Weishaupt, Joseph and Elke Jeanron. We Were Marked with a Big "A".
W]egen Vergehen nach § 175 verhaftet (Arrest Because of an Offense Against Paragraph 175) by Frank Sparing (1997) extensively outlines the persecution of homosexuals in Düsseldorf under National Socialism. Several exhibitions organized in Germany have shown extensive documentation and helped to bring to light more stories of gay and lesbian holocaust survivors. " Die Verfolgung von Homosexuellen an Rhein and Ruhr 1933-1945 (Müller, 1998) were two books published with documentation from the exhibitions.
Sherman, Martin. Bent. New York: Applause Theatre Book Publishers, 1998. Shirer, William L . The Nightmare Years 1930-1940. Boston: Little, Brown, 1984. Shirer, William L . The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1960. 42 A SEA OF STORIES Sparing, Frank. . wegen Vergehen nach §175 verhaftet: Die Verfolgung der Düsseldorfer Homosexuellen während des Nationalsozialismus. Düsseldorf: Grupello Verlag, 1997. Steakley, James. The Homosexual Emancipation Movement in Germany.