By Ben Gove
Gove analyzes promiscuity inside of American homosexual tradition and the basis assumptions and contradictions that give a contribution to dominant understandings of promiscuous intercourse and hope. He demanding situations the normative dichotomy of "bad" homosexual male promiscuity and "good" heterosexual monogamy and offers a much wider evaluation of yank attitudes in the direction of sexual perform and wish. the writer attracts at the autobiographical fiction and memoirs of 3 influential authors from the early Nineteen Sixties onwards: John Rechy, Larry Kramer, and David Wojnarowicz, in addition to different queer serious, ancient, and fictional viewpoints to demonstrate the argument.
Read or Download Cruising Culture PDF
Best gay & lesbian books
Ebook by way of Jackson, Graham
Gender studies of Spain has to this point targeted nearly completely on ladies, leaving the social and political historical past of male homosexuality almost untouched. 'Los Invisibles' fills this major hole within the learn of Spanish tradition by means of examining the results of scientific and felony legislation on male homosexuals.
This awesome array of essays considers the contingent and transferring meanings of gender and the physique in modern Southeast Asia. via examining femininity and masculinity as fluid techniques instead of social or organic givens, the authors offer new methods of figuring out how gender intersects with neighborhood, nationwide, and transnational kinds of wisdom and gear.
In Banning Queer Blood, Jeffrey Bennett frames blood donation as a functionality of civic id heavily associated with the that means of citizenship. even though, with the arrival of AIDS got here the inspiration of blood donation as a almost certainly harmful procedure. Bennett argues that the meals and Drug management, through utilizing photos that in particular depict homosexual males as contagious, has labeled homosexual males as a threat to the kingdom.
- A to Z of American Women Leaders and Activists (A to Z of Women)
- Who's Who: In Contemporary Gay and Lesbian History from World War II to Present Day
- Reclaiming the L-Word. Sappho's Daughters Out in Africa
- Women's Activism and Globalization: Linking Local Struggles and Global Politics
- Gender: The Basics, 1st Edition
- The Red Files
Additional info for Cruising Culture
69. 70. , pp. 79–80. Crimp, ‘How to have promiscuity’, p. 253. Quoted in Parkes, ‘Silences and secrets’, p. 56. Holleran, Ground Zero, p. 114. Berlant and Warner, ‘Sex in public’, p. 560. Freud, ‘General theory of the neuroses’, pp. 419–20. Of course, Freud is well aware of the constant overlap between these two realms throughout much of his writing. ‘Typical phantasy structures (intra-uterine existence, primal scene, castration, seduction) which psycho-analysis reveals to be responsible for the organisation of phantasy life, regardless of the personal experiences of different subjects,’ and which ‘have one trait in common: they are all related to the origins.
73. 1. 74. , p. 10. 75. , pp. 44–5. 76. Garber, ‘A spectacle in color’, p. 325. 77. , p. 322. 78. , pp. 322–3. Garber’s description of patrons being openly promiscuous, to the extent of watching one another have sex, suggests an even more polymorphous variation of the gay male bathhouse (alongside the more formalised prostitution that took place in the buffet flats). 79. Ibid, p. 327. Of course, Nugent’s prominent position in artistic/literary society made such erotic ostentation far easier, and even expected, particularly of a ‘Negro’ male.
Delany, The Motion of Light in Water, p. 354. ’ Here the distinction appears to be between ‘promiscuous sex’ with strangers (usually in public spaces) and ‘social sex’ with known partners, such as his wife and their live-in male lover. Earlier, however, Delany argues that his sexual encounters in the riverside trucks ‘with thirty-five, fifty, a hundred all-but-strangers . . [were] hugely ordered, highly social, attentive, silent, and grounded in a certain care, if not community’ (p. 202; emphasis added).