By Charles Neider
Author and Antarctic explorer Neider tells of his 3rd journey to the frozen continent, describing the overseas stations there and the objectives they're operating towards. Neider additionally excursions the Antarctic panorama, watching the geography and natural world and evoking it intimately. Devoting scrutiny to the overseas treaties that guard the continent politically and environmentally, Neider unearths how vital these treaties are. additionally integrated during this paintings are interviews with Antarctic pioneers Sir Charles Wright, Sir Vivian Fuchs, and Laurence Gould.
Read or Download Beyond Cape Horn: Travels in the Antarctic PDF
Best nature books
A number one determine within the rising box of extinction stories, Thom van Dooren places philosophy into dialog with the average sciences and his personal ethnographic encounters to vivify the cultural and moral importance of modern day extinctions. not like different meditations at the topic, Flight methods comprises the particularities of actual animals and their worlds, drawing philosophers, average scientists, and basic readers into the adventure of dwelling between and wasting biodiversity.
Even supposing the time period "poaching" has now come to consult hunters and anglers who intentionally flout online game rules, famed outdoorsman John Watson makes use of those words in a broader, much less pejorative feel during this assortment, which brings jointly a sequence of looking articles he released in quite a few periodicals in the course of the process his occupation.
A rural group is modified eternally whilst moneyed pursuits conspire to remodel a valuable wetland.
Many scientists regard mass and effort because the fundamental foreign money of nature. in recent times, even though, the idea that of knowledge has won significance. Why? during this e-book, eminent scientists, philosophers and theologians chart a variety of facets of knowledge, from quantum info to organic and electronic details, so that it will know the way nature works.
- Raising Chickens: From Building Coops to Collecting Eggs and More (Backyard Farming)
- Interpretation for the 21st Century: Fifteen Guiding Principles for Interpreting Nature and Culture:2nd (Second) edition
- The Living Great Lakes: Searching for the Heart of the Inland Seas
- Sacred Language: The Nature of Supernatural Discourse in Lakota (Civilization of the American Indian, 179)
Additional info for Beyond Cape Horn: Travels in the Antarctic
Tiger sharks are not picky eaters. They can eat a wide range of foods from other sharks to multiple kinds of fish. 81. They are very curious and they would not hesitate to give anything they see a bite for a little taste. This is why you will find anything from their stomach - from tires to jewelry, ships to alarm clocks. WHALE SHARK Known as the biggest of all the sea creatures, the whale sharks are incredibly gentle by nature. And they also like interacting with divers. Whale sharks are massive in size but they are very gentle in nature.
They have excellent vision which allows them to hunt even at night. And like other sharks, they also use their color for camouflage. 80. Tiger sharks are not picky eaters. They can eat a wide range of foods from other sharks to multiple kinds of fish. 81. They are very curious and they would not hesitate to give anything they see a bite for a little taste. This is why you will find anything from their stomach - from tires to jewelry, ships to alarm clocks. WHALE SHARK Known as the biggest of all the sea creatures, the whale sharks are incredibly gentle by nature.
83. Whale sharks can weigh over 66,000 pounds. 84. While they may be the most enormous in size, ironically, their favorite food is among the smallest sea creatures, the plankton. 85. Whale sharks are considered filter feeders. That is they catch food by sucking water then they eventually push the excess through their gills. 86. They live in tropical waters and warm oceans. Considering they are the biggest, they feed on one of the smallest creatures of the water, the plankton. 87. Whale sharks have a pale yellow covering with white dots and stripes against its grey back.