By Michael L. Brown
Forty years in the past, so much americans stated they did not understand somebody who was once gay and claimed to understand little or not anything approximately homosexuality. this day, there is hardly ever a sitcom with out a favorite homosexual personality, video clips like Milk and Brokeback Mountain have gained Oscars, or even People journal celebrated the wedding of Ellen Degeneres and Portia DeRossi. A Queer factor occurred to America chronicles the fantastic transformation of the USA over the past 40 years, and addresses the query head-on: Is there relatively a homosexual schedule, or is it a fiction of the non secular correct? Written in a full of life and compelling type, yet sponsored with immense learn and wide interplay with the GLBT neighborhood, this forthright and but compassionate e-book appears on the striking influence homosexual activism has had on American society. this would simply be the main arguable booklet of the last decade. learn it and discover why the publishing global was once afraid to the touch it.
Read Online or Download A Queer Thing Happened to America: And What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been PDF
Similar gay & lesbian books
Booklet through Jackson, Graham
Gender studies of Spain has up to now targeted nearly solely on ladies, leaving the social and political historical past of male homosexuality nearly untouched. 'Los Invisibles' fills this major hole within the learn of Spanish tradition through reading the results of scientific and criminal rules on male homosexuals.
This remarkable array of essays considers the contingent and moving meanings of gender and the physique in modern Southeast Asia. through interpreting femininity and masculinity as fluid procedures instead of social or organic givens, the authors supply new methods of realizing how gender intersects with neighborhood, nationwide, and transnational kinds of wisdom and gear.
In Banning Queer Blood, Jeffrey Bennett frames blood donation as a functionality of civic id heavily associated with the that means of citizenship. in spite of the fact that, with the appearance of AIDS got here the thought of blood donation as a in all probability harmful technique. Bennett argues that the foodstuff and Drug management, by way of using pictures that in particular depict homosexual males as contagious, has labeled homosexual males as a threat to the kingdom.
- Lesbians, Gays, and Bisexuals Becoming Parents or Remaining Childfree: Confronting Social Inequalities
- Untidy Origins: A Story of Woman's Rights in Antebellum New York
- Under the Poppy: A Novel
- The Vampire Next Door, Edition: Original
- Gender, Class, and Freedom in Modern Political Theory
Extra info for A Queer Thing Happened to America: And What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been
60 THE MAGICAL EFFECTS OF PUSHING THE “HATE” BUTTON Yet no sooner did the word get out concerning these lectures then the hate speech started flying – I mean against us, not from us. In emails and on blogs, I was referred to as a hell-bound Neo-nazi, a mindless bigot, an ignorant moron, a lunatic, and a frothing nut bar; I was accused of openly touting the Nazi agenda, being part of the KKK in Charlotte, and espousing the American version of Nazism – and all this without any of the accusers attending a single lecture.
21 Do you note the recurring pattern? ” Another wrote, “I see you as a vicious enemy who merits no compassion whatsoever. . ”22 Someone posting on a different blog gushed, “The truth is you’re full of garbage, a disgrace to the Lord, and your hate group is about as ‘Christian’ as an Ozzy Osborn CD,” while still another compared me to “the sleaziest of . . ”23 How fascinating! And what, again, was my crime? Daring to air publicly my differences with gay activists – with respect and without name-calling, anger, or rancor – and daring to come to the conclusion that the Scriptures taught against homosexual practice.
2. 3. 4. 5. 6. ” You can either let us marry people of the same sex, or better yet abolish marriage altogether. You will be expected to offer ceremonies that bless our sexual arrangements. You will also instruct your people in homosexual as well as heterosexual behavior, and you will go out of your way to make certain that homosexual youths are allowed to date, attend religious functions together, openly display affection, and enjoy each other’s sexuality without embarrassment or guilt. If any of the older people in your midst object, you will deal with them sternly, making certain they renounce their ugly and ignorant homophobia or suffer public humiliation.